Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn - A Review

What I'm reading now  Across the Nightingale Floor
I listened to this book.
Go join the fun  on a spooky blog hop and win up to 400 books here
Over 30 authors came together last Saturday at Barnes and Noble in Orem for an awesome Authorpalooza. It was a ball. Heather Gardner posted this pic. of me there. I sat next to cute Jessica Day George. It was fun to sign with so many of my friends and to make new ones. Go to her original post by clicking on her name. She owns Fireandice.blogspot.com and awesome review site!
The review
Across the Nightingale Floor: Tales of the Otori Book OneWe enter the story with teenage Tomasu discovering Iida, a warlord, massacring his entire village. Almost getting killed himself, Tomasu escapes into the wild and runs into another warlord, Otori Shigeru. He saves Tomasu and then claims him as his son, renaming him Takeo. Otori teaches Tomasu the ways of the warrior and Tomasu soon discovers he has special skills. These skills are being honed by his master to free the people from the oppressive rule of Iida.

Tomasu is an interesting and likable character. In fact, I liked all the characters in this book. They were well thought out and played their parts well. With all the clan in-fighting, it could have been difficult to follow, but I thought Hearn did a marvelous job in separating all the different plots and at the same time bringing them all together to create a cohesive book. I had a hard time putting this book down (or pausing it, in this case). I was intrigued from the get-go. In fact, I decorated my house for Halloween while I listened to it.


This book is not for the faint of heart, however and it is definitely not for the audience it is intended-Young Adult. There is a ton of graphic violence and one sex scene that is definitely not appropriate for a young adult audience. This is an adult book for sure and not all adults.

I'm currently reading Bound by C.K. Bryant, Armour of Light by Karen Hoover, and The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. I just finished How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper.